Monday 11 April 2011

New England - A Summary

Okay, first leg of the trip complete and only a couple days behind schedule. Here's a summary of what I've read so far:


Week 1

The State: Maine

The Book: Carrie by Stephen King (1974)









Week 2

The State: New Hampshire

The Book: Peyton Place by Grace Metalious (1956)









Week 3

The State: Vermont

The Book: All That I Have by Castle Freeman (2009)









Week 4

The State: Massachusetts

The Book: The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne (1850)








Week 5

The State: Rhode Island

The Book: The Witches of Eastwick by John Updike (1984)








Week 6

The State: Connecticut

The Book: The Ice Storm by Rick Moody (1994)









I should also point out that all but one of the above books I managed to find in my local library, so hurrah for libraries (especially Hornsey library)!

So far we've had more adulterous affairs than I care to count, numerous illegitimate children, and the Devil tormenting everyone from Carrie White to Hester Prynne. Hmm, maybe these are just the kind of books I'm more inclined to read rather than a reflection on the region. But anyway, after that WASP overload I'm looking forward to moving swiftly on to New York and civilisation (just kidding any New Englanders!).

No comments:

Post a Comment